This shop about Easter Muddy Buddies Recipe also known as Puppy Chow has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
Easter has just about as many candy selections as Halloween. I just love perusing the candy aisle and trying to create a fun and festive recipe.
I know I am a dessert lover and my kids are not far behind me. Since I have tweens and teens in my house, the cute dessert days are slowly ending. One of the most popular teen snacks at bake sales is trash or muddy buddy snack mix.
I decided to create this fun Easter Muddy Buddy recipe that we can also call “Bunny Bait,” using some great candy like M&M’s White Strawberry Shortcake and Starburst Sweet & Sour Jellybeans. No, I won’t be making these together just using them to create a fun platter of treats.
How to Make Easter Puppy Chow
Snack mix is so simple to make. Simply microwave a mixture of butter, peanut butter and chocolate chips in the microwave.
Add the melted mixture to your bowl of cereal. I like the cereal that is half rice and half corn (see photo below). Stir until well coated. But be careful that you don’t stir so much that you break up the cereal.
Pour your coated mixture into a Ziploc bag or trash bag if making a large amount, thus the nickname. Add your powdered sugar and shake until well coated.
Pour your finished mixture onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet(s) and sprinkle with M&M’s White Strawberry Shortcake and some bunny marshmallows. The M&M’s White Strawberry Shortcake are exclusively found at Target stores for a limited time.
You can easily package your snack mixture into festive cellophane bags once it has cooled.
How to Make Chocolate Cups for Muddy Buddies
You can also make a fun display for an Easter celebration. For example, I made chocolate cups by melting chocolate chips and coating the inside of foil cupcake liners.
Once the cups are completely set in the fridge, carefully peel off the paper.
Fill with your Bunny Bait snack mix and display on a dish lined with Starburst Sweet & Sour Jellybeans. Doesn’t this make an adorable presentation? Double the dessert!
Just don’t display these near the sun! Trust me, mine started melting during this photo shoot.
So head to your favorite Target Super Stores, and browse the aisles for some Easter dessert inspiration. Target Super Stores will host a sampling event March 20th. Yummy!
I picked up some Easter DOVE Peanut Butter Eggs, a DOVE Milk Chocolate Bunny and a few Skittles and Starburst Eggs to fill my Easter baskets this year. The older kids will totally love the Easter basket combination of the homemade Easter Muddy Buddy snacks with some of their all-time favorite candy.
Easter Puppy Chow Recipe
- 9 cups rice/corn cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 - 3/4 bag M&M's
- 1/2 bag bunny marshmallows
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside. Measure the cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a microwave safe medium bowl, microwave the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter for 1 minute, then stir. Continue microwaving in 30-second intervals, stirring in between until smooth. Add the vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture on top of the cereal and gently mix until the cereal is all coated.
- Transfer the mixture to a 2-gallon ziplock bag and add the confectioner’s sugar. Seal the bag and shake until all the cereal is coated. Fun for the kids .
- Spread the cereal out onto the baking sheet to cool. Sprinkle M and M candies and marshmallows throughout the cereal and allow to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition InformationYield 20 Serving Size 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 190Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 6mgSodium 114mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 2gSugar 15gProtein 3g
What is your favorite Easter candy?