We have made many cake recipes on the blog. None have been quite as easy as this one bowl chocolate cake recipe we are sharing today. This is an easy cake recipe and makes a single 9-inch cake which is perfect for a family meal. While we love making a double layered Chocolate cake for birthdays, there is no reason you can have cake just to have cake. I think the trick to this easy cake recipe that keeps it so moist might the addition of the buttermilk. My husband said by far this was the best cake he has had.
I told you this was a one bowl mess and here is the bowl. You can’t say no to your children when they ask for cake if you have this recipe on hand!
With the addition of a few mini chocolate chip you take the chocolate cake to a new level.
I love that this one bowl cake recipe makes a single layer cake that is perfect for any occasion, even a Sunday Night family dinner. But no easy cake recipe is finished without an amazing frosting recipe.
No worries about dividing out your chocolate frosting between layers and having enough to cover the edges, with a single layer cake just plop it on and smooth it over.
If you dare not to lick any out of the bowl, you will have plenty for a thick layer over the ever moist cake.
No birthday here, but sprinkles really make every cake a little more festive. Don’t you just love easy cake recipes!
Also I wanted to let me readers know I joined Yummly.com You can add your recipes directly from this blog to your own yummy profile and store any recipe from the internet as well. I hope you will check out my Yummly page and share your favorites too.
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 T canola oil
- 1/2 c low fat buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 c + 2 T white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 c cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 c coffee
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
- Chocolate Frosting
- 2 T soft butter
- 1/2 c cocoa powder, preferably sifted
- 1 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1/4 c milk, or more (we used more buttermilk)
- Mix all ingredients up to Coffee until mixed well
- Add coffee and put into your greased 9 inch pan.
- Add 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 10 mins and turn out onto a cooling rack until completely cool.
- Mix the first three ingredients, adding a splash of the milk to help them go together. Keep adding tiny splashes of milk until it gets to the consitencey you are looking for. Beat with a spoon till smooth.
Nutrition InformationYield 10
Amount Per Serving Calories 261 Saturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 24mg Sodium 176mg Carbohydrates 48g Fiber 3g Sugar 37g Protein 4g