As a Godmother and Aunt I am expected to show my godson the ways of the church and guide him spiritually. Well I decided since my godson is headed to college in 3 years, I will start his guidance in the kitchen as well. As part of the Good Cook blogger program I was able to pick out 15 products I find important for any kitchen Drawer. While selecting my items I was thinking of Brendan and his future college kitchen drawer. Also sharing this great grandma’s Italian lemon cake recipe.
Here are the 15 items I chose to start his College Drawer with.
- The Safe Cut Can opener
- Every kitchen needs a good Chef Knife
- Double-sided Flip Measuring cups- saves space in your drawer
- 3 piece Liquid measuring cups He will find many uses for these great cups
- Plastic Measuring Spoons. They are color coded to help pick the correct spoon.
- Stainless Steel Locking Tongs– no worries about scratching your pans with these
- Pairing Knife excellent for cutting small fruits and veggies
- Grater/ Fine Zester Great for getting citrus into a recipe
- Instant Read Thermometer Perfect for the college grilling days.
- Stainless Steel Peeler- nice soft handle is comfortable for big peeling jobs.
- Silicone Spatulas A must have in any kitchen, very versitale. Love the 2 sizes.
- Nylon Pancake Turner Perfect for serving cakes or just flipping eggs and pancakes.
- Silicone Whisk- Love that it has silicone so wont scratch the pots and can sustain heat.
- Good wooden Spoons Every kitchen drawer needs some sturdy wooden spoons
- Stainless Steel Trigger Scoop Great for making muffins or just scooping ice cream.
I am so excited to see what items you pick for your ideal kitchen Drawer Sweepstakes. Be sure to visit goodcook.com and choose up to 15 items from selected Good Cook products to create their ideal kitchen drawer then enter to win everything they selected. Be sure to check out more of the daily giveaways from Good Cook Facebook too.
Grandma’s Italian Lemon Cake Recipe
As the good aunt I thought I would make sure these utensils worked properly for him and decided to try this Italian Lemon Cake Recipe passed down from his Great Grandmother. It is such a refreshing and no bake lemon cake recipe for summer BBQs.
I loved using my egg separator for this recipe and found it super easy to use especially connected to the Measuring cups.
I love how perfect they were separated.
Lay out your lady fingers in your pan, I used the chef’s knife to cut some to fit better in the pan.
Since you are using the cook variiety of pudding the silicone whisk came in handy.
Layer the lemon filling and lady fingers in your pan.
I found this super easy to do with the silicone spatulas.
Before you are ready to serve, make homemade whipped topping with some sugar and vanilla, measuring these out with the plastic Measuring spoons. Use your pancake turner to help get the slices out of the pan.
Italian Lemon Cake Recipe
Be sure and check out all the amazing recipes made using Good Cook Products:
Italian Lemon Cake Recipe
Italian Lemon Cake is my grandmother's recipe that is a light and creamy make ahead cool dessert.
- 2 packages hard lady fingers
- 2 packages Lemon Pie Filling Jello's Puffing for pies that you cook, NOT INSTANT
- 5 cups of water
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- Whipping Cream sugar and vanilla to taste
Use a 9x13 pyrex Glass baking dish
Spray Baking Dish with a little Pam.
Start with the water and the add the egg yolks slightly beaten.
Start Heating the water while adding the butter, pie filling and sugar on medium heat.
Stir continuously until liquid begins to thicken, (right after it begins to boil.
Remove from heat.
Line baking dish with one layer of cooks and pour half of the leon filling over the cookies. Place another layer of cookies on top and pour remaining pie filling on top.
(try hard not to displace the cookies.
Allow to cool slightly then put in fridge at least 3 hours.
When ready to serve prepare whipping cream. and cover top of cake.
Adapted from Flo DeNardi- great grandmother's friend.