Not only am I trying to be better about meal planning in 2015, but I am also trying to squeeze in more fruits and veggies into my carb loving children. Don’t get me wrong they have healthy appetites but will often skip the salad at a pasta meal. I won’t be worrying too much when I serve this low fat Alfredo Sauce recipe that no only is lower in fat but sneaks in both spinach and zucchini to unsuspecting and hungry kids. I have never made Alfredo sauce before, not sure why maybe always thought it was too rich. The response was unanimous and like the Slow Cooker Fajitas, my family would like to see this on the menu again.
Alfredo Sauce could not be a better and super quick weeknight dinner option but it is rich enough to serve to guests on the weekend with some grilled chicken or shrimp. In the time it takes to boil the water to cook the pasta you will have the sauce waiting to dress your cooked noodles.
Saute’ your garlic, the more the better just be sure to mince it finely. ( I know better for next time) Add your half and half and simmer it for a few minutes.
Now comes the flavor, just whisk in your grated parmesan cheese, and garlic powder . Be sure to purchase the best cheese you can afford it will make a difference in the flavor. I like Parmesan Reggiano when I cook italian, it seems to have more flavor.
This is when I sneak one of the veggies into my Alfredo Sauce Recipe. Wilt a cup to 2 cups of fresh baby spinach now, it will blend in with the parsley.
With only a minute left with your pasta cooking time, throw in your zucchini threads. They are so thin the kids really did not notice them. Next time I might slice the zucchini into smaller strips before using the the veggie peeler.
Reserve some pasta water to thin out your Alfredo sauce, if the sauce gets too thick you can add a little more cream as well. Just keep tasting to get the right flavor.
This Low fat Alfredo Sauce does not skip on the flavor but does skimp out on the fat. A crowd pleaser that can be dressed up or down.
- 1 pound whole wheat or vegetable fettuccine
- 8 ounces zucchini, cut into thin strips with a vegetable peeler
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1-1/4 cup cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Pepper to taste, I used white pepper
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil. Stir in the fettuccine, bring back to a boil, and cook pasta over medium heat until cooked through but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Lightly cook zucchini by tossing into pasta water just before draining. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- 2. Heat butter and garlic in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in cream and simmer for 1 minute, then add cheese and garlic powder and whisk quickly, heating through. Stir in spinach and parsley until wilted.
- Add pasta water slowly to reach desired consistency
- 3. Add drained pasta / zucchini to the sauce pan and toss well.
Adapted from allrecipes.com
What other veggies would you sneak into this Low Fat Alfredo Sauce Recipe?