I would not call it a resolution so much as a commitment to avoid hitting the grocery store 4 times a week picking up things for dinner. I am going to do my best to do meal planning for the week and buy as much as I could one day a week. Granted, I am usually at the store more than once if a blog post comes my way but those are in and out visits. (hopefully) Since our schedule has changed on Mondays I now have to make slow cooker recipes for dinner since we don’t get home until 7 pm. I adapted a slow cooker fajitas recipe this week and was a little nervous for the outcome: RESULT family asked to keep it on rotation once a week!
The original slow cooker recipes called for packaged seasonings mix. While this is a convenient option for many, I prefer making my own seasonings when I can so I can control the sodium, MSG, and spiciness in this case. You can make the seasoning the night before, even make a double batch to have on hand for the next fajita night.
One recipe makes about 1 oz of homemade fajita seasoning, so I doubled the recipe for this slow cooker fajita dinner.
In the morning, just throw in your flank or skirt steak into your crock pot. Cover it with the spices and then add all the peppers and onions you desire. Next time I will probably double the peppers since my family loves that part and it came out really well. I used a slow cooker liner and boy does it make clean up for slow cooker recipes a breeze.
Dinner preparation is pretty easy as well. Take out the slow cooked and tender fajita meat with a slotted spoon and use two forks to break it apart. This is an easy task.
Fish out the peppers and onions with the slotted spoon as well.
Heat up some tortillas, we used white corn and serve with your favorite fajita toppings like sour cream, cheese, lettuce you get it. I made a quick rice and corn side dish.
Dinner was served without the stress of the late hour rush and everyone so more than pleased with the result. I never thought the slow cooker fajitas would be as good as those made on a grill, but when you need dinner ready when you walk in the door, this is the slow cooker recipe for you.
I am going to try this with Chicken next time and maybe even a combo of steak and chicken… Possibilities are endless. For more of our fajita recipes check these posts.
- 2 lbs flat iron or skirt steak
- 2 oz fajita seasonings, see recipe below
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 bell peppers, any color combination ( will use more next time)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (or red wine vinegar)
- In a 3 1/2 to 6 Qt slow cooker, insert a plastic liner for easy clean up and add your steak. Add remaining ingredients, I layered seasonings then vegetables and covered with water.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or High 5-6 hours until the meat is tender.
- Use a slotted spoon to take out the meat and break up with 2 forks. Remove the veggies and serve with small tortillas and your favorite toppings.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed chicken bouillon cube
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I left out)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- This makes around 1 oz of seasoning.
- For this recipe for slow cooker fajitas you must double this recipe.