I love recipes that can be made the night or morning before serving. It just makes dinner time so much easier to deal with. Plus there is nothing better than a comforting Low Fat Chicken Pot Pie.
What I even enjoy more is a recipe that is quick and easy and healthy at the same time. We are trying to eat less processed foods at our house and this is a good step in that direction. Make sure you check out our other short cut pot pie recipe.
We have updated this chicken pot pie recipe since it originally came out in 2012.
LOW FAT CHICKEN POT PIE RECIPE
This recipe from Holly Clegg’s Kitchen 101 Book that has great recipes for any level cook that are healthy too. I love finding leaner versions of our favorite comfort foods.
What I love about this make ahead pot pie recipe is that you can make the filling earlier in the day, and then just heat it up while you preheat the oven.
You can use a rotisserie chicken or simply use left over chicken or a few grilled chicken breasts. No matter what you chose it will be a flavorful and comforting meal.
HOW TO HOMEMADE CHICKEN POT PIE FILLING
Start by sauteeing veggies in a a non-stick pan. I cooked up some chicken thighs and cut up chicken breast first then used the same pan and drippings to cook the veggies.
Making a rue couldn’t be simpler in this recipe. As long as you get the mixture to a boil, it will thicken up.
For ease, I put all the seasonings, including some salt and pepper into the evaporated milk and added it all together.
This is a good time to add any frozen mixed veggies and also taste the mixture and add any more seasonings.
When it is thick enough, add the chicken. You can now let it be and wait until dinner to reheat it or immediately add it to a sprayed baking pan.
TO MAKE THE POT PIE FILLING AHEAD
Allow the mixture to cool and then cover and put in the fridge.
When you are ready for dinner, take the mixture out and reheat on the stove while you preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
BISCUITS AS TOPPING FOR POT PIE
Using canned biscuits is an easy way to quickly top a pot pie and kids love it. We used grand biscuits and found it best to split them in half to allow them to cook through all the way.
LOW FAT CHICKEN POT PIE RECIPE
Ways to decrease the fat in a pot pie recipe.
- use skim evaporated milk
- low sodium chicken broth
- low fat biscuits if they exist
- lots of veggies
- use only white meat for chicken
LOW FAT MAKE AHEAD CHICKEN POT PIE RECIPE
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1½ cups fat-free chicken broth, divided
- ½ cup evaporated skimmed milk
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2-3 cups chopped chicken breast or thighs
- 1/2 -1 cup frozen mixed veggies
- 8 refrigerated canned biscuits
1. Preheat oven 400 F if serving immediately Coat pie plate or 2 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté onion, celery and carrots until tender, stirring.
3. In a small cup, add cornstarch to ½ cup chicken broth, mixing well. Pour into skillet, stirring. Gradually add remaining chicken broth, stirring and cooking over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Add evaporated milk, thyme as well as salt and pepper to taste.
Return to boil, add chicken, cooking until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
Either proceed or allow mixture to cool, cover and refrigerate.
Once you are ready to serve, reheat mixture if made ahead or time and spoon hot mixture into baking pan.
Pull apart biscuits and layer on top of mixture, overlapping some if necessary. . Bake 10-12 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
Allow to cool a few minutes and serve.