Somedays comfort food is just calling our name. One of our family favorites is Chicken Pot Pie. Have you ever made one from scratch? It can be tedious but worth every step. I have also made a super quick Chicken Pot Pie before but it uses a canned soup mix, making it quick but a little salty. Today’s Short Cut Chicken Pot Pie recipe uses both elements from my two older recipes and makes a homemade Chicken Pot Pie that will have your family begging for more. You don’t have to be a great cook to make this, just willing to take a few extra steps.
To Make this Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Ahead of Time:
If you are short on time, prep all the veggies and cut the chicken the day before or even the morning before you head off for the day. This way you can whip it up quickly.
You could even cook the veggies and chicken pieces, then heat them up when you are ready to put the whole thing together.
You might be wondering where the short cut is? This looks like a lot of chopping and cooking!
After you make the filling, there is no need to make your own pie crust, in fact the only thing you are covering this pot pie with is refrigerated biscuits. You know the ones in the tube? How easy is this?
Simply tear them in half and layer them onto your prepared Chicken and veggie mixture.
Make a simple egg wash and coat the biscuits. Place a cookie sheet under the pot pie as it may spill over, trust me it did for us. Bake until golden brown and allow it to cool slightly before serving.
This Chicken Pot Pie recipe was a huge hit in my family and my kids have asked for it again. That is always a good sign.
Pin this yummy Chicken Pot Pie recipe for your next comfort meal!
Chicken pot pie recipe
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2/3 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces (about 3 small chicken breasts)
- 1 16.3 ounce can refrigerated flaky-style biscuits
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat, and cook the onion, celery, and carrots until they are tender, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in peas, parsley, thyme and flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour coats the vegetables and begins to turn slightly brown, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in chicken broth and half-and-half, and cook until the sauce is thick and bubbling.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper, and mix in the cooked chicken meat. (You can cool and set aside until dinner if you wish)
- Transfer the chicken, vegetables, and sauce into a 2-quart pie baking dish. Split the biscuits in half and Arrange biscuits on top of the filling.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolk with water; brush egg yolk on the biscuits.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the biscuits are golden brown and the pie filling is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.Enjoy.
Adapted from All Recipes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 530 Saturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 174mg Sodium: 355mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5g Protein: 33g