There is no better reason to go to the farmer’s market this time of year than to get the ingredients for a Panzanella Salad. (or if you are lucky your own back yard)
The second recipe of the month for Barefoot Bloggers Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa Panzanella Salad. I made this Panzanella Salad Recipe italian style w/o the feta and olives.
I have made this on many occasions using the dressing but mixing up the veggies slightly. I have even made a mini version and put it on top of romaine lettuce.
Add some chopped chicken and you have a great lunch or light supper.
The best part is you don’t have to turn on your oven to toast the bread. If your kitchen is not already hot from the weather, just toast them in the oven for 10 minutes.
Panzanella Salad Recipe –Barefoot Contessa
- Good olive oil
- 1 small French bread or boule, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- Kosher salt
- 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, large diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, large diced
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, sliced in half rounds
For the vinaigrette
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large saute pan. Add the bread cubes and sprinkle with salt; cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently, for 5 to 10 minutes, until nicely browned. Add more olive oil as needed.
- Place the cucumber, red pepper, yellow pepper, tomatoes and red onion in a large bowl.
- For the vinaigrette, whisk together the garlic, oregano, mustard, vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper in a small bowl. While still whisking, add the olive oil and make an emulsion. Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables. Add the feta, olives and bread cubes and mix together lightly. Set aside for 30 minutes for the flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 199Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 0mgSodium 396mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 2g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on stayingclosetohome.com should only be used as a general guideline.
Have you ever made a Panzanella Salad?