We remade this Easy Chocolate Cream pie in April 2023 with some great additions such as using milk and sugar alternatives and a pastry pie crust.
This Easy Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe will sure to be a family favorite. Easy to make any time of year, but especially in the summer since it’s no bake!
I had some milk that I needed to use up before we went away for a weekend. What to make, milkshakes seemed like a good idea, but I had a graham cracker crust in the pantry so I thought a chocolate pudding pie was calling our name.
I have never made a chocolate pie from scratch so this was going to be a fun challenge. Don’t worry if you can stir a pot you can make the chocolate cream filling
Fresh Fruit pies are wonderful in the summer but who wants to put on the oven all the time. This pudding pie is made on the stovetop and then chilled to perfection.
Dollop with some yummy whipped topping, homemade or store-bought and your family will be begging for more.
What type of crust for this Easy Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe?
If you truly want a no-bake pie, go with the store-bought graham cracker crust.
However, feel free to use a flaking pie crust or a graham cracker crust for this recipe. Pick based on your tastes and amount of time you have. Just be sure to prebake the pie crust.
You will need to either fill with beans or prick the bottom with a fork before baking to prevent any over puffing of the crust.
Be sure to check any baking recomendations on the package.
How do you make pudding for pie filling?
Make your filling on the stovetop. I used a mixture of unsweetened chocolate squares and cocoa since I did not have enough of the bar.
Simply check your cocoa container for substitution but if you have shortening and unsweetened cocoa you have unsweetened chocolate ready for your recipe.
Stir stir stir until your mixture is nice and thick. A whisk will be your best friend.
WHAT MILK ALTERNATIVES CAN I USE TO MAKE A CHOCOLATE CREAM FILLING
We used skim milk the first time, a mixture of lactose free and almond milk the second time.
CAN I USE A SUGAR SUBSTITUTE TO MAKE THIS PIE
Yes you can. We used monk sugar which is a one to one swap and we could not tell the difference.
Pour into your crust. (If you used a homemade baked crust be sure it is cooled)
The pie need to cool and then place a piece of saran wrap on top of the pudding an cool in the fridge for a few hours.
HOW TO PREVENT GETTING A SKIN ONTOP OF MY CREAM PIE
You will need to add saran wrap or plastic wrap on top of you pie immediately after you pour it into the crust.
What should I put on top of my Chocolate Cream Pie?
Dollop with some whipped cream and serve. Get crazy and make it homemade or buy it at the store. Homemade is always better but and takes minutes to make.
Can I Make a Chocolate Pudding Pie In Advance?
You need to allow the pie to cool for several hours. So there is no reason why you can not make this a day or two ahead of time for entertaining to save you time.
This pie is not overly sweet but full of chocolate flavor. We even used skim milk so saved a little on the fat and calories.
Pin this for your next chocolate craving!
Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe with a Graham Cracker Crust.
Slice of Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe with a pastry crust.
- 9- inch baked pastry shell or crumb crust
- 2 1/2 ounces Unsweetened Chocolate Baking Bar or substitute
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Sweetened whipped cream-- homemade or store bought
- If using Pastry shell, bake per directions. Cool.
- 2. Combine chocolate and 2 cups milk in medium saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until mixture boils. Remove from heat.
- 3. Stir together sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt in medium bowl. Blend remaining 1 cup milk into egg yolks; stir into sugar mixture. Gradually add to chocolate mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with wire whisk, until mixture boils; boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- 4. Pour into prepared pastry or crust shell; press plastic wrap directly onto surface. Cool; refrigerate until well chilled. Top with whipped cream, if desired. Makes 8 servings.
Adapted from Hershey's Incredibly Easy cookbook
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 525Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 90mgSodium 245mgCarbohydrates 96gFiber 2gSugar 77gProtein 7g