If you are hosting a Summer BBQ or picnic, finding summer salad recipes that will stand the heat are a must. I recently had to make this Bean and wild rice salad for my daughter’s school and knew immediately it would be the perfect summer salad for any occasion. If you don’t like beans, move on from this recipe and check out our Panzanella salad or our Watermelon Salad.
The only cooking is the wild rice. I had a tough time finding it but found small boxes of wild rice at Kroger. Simply black strains of rice, not a wild rice mixture. I am sure either would work.
The rest of the ingredients, come mostly from cans so there is not much prep. I doubled the recipe as I needed to make dinner for another family at the same time, and it was easily done.
While the rice is warm, be sure to add the dressing, it seems to absorb so much easier. I made it recipe in a dressing carafe for ease of mixing but a bowl and whisk would work too.
Add everything to a bowl and mix! How easy is that. The flavors will meld the longer they sit so be sure to make this at least 5 hours before serving.
- 1 10-oz. pkg. f 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 15.8-oz. can great northern beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 4.5-oz. can Chopped Green Chiles
- 1/2 cup celery, 1 medium stalk. sliced
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- In large bowl, combine all salad ingredients; stir gently to combine.
- 2 In small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients; mix well.
- 3 Pour dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until serving time.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66 Sodium: 152mg Carbohydrates: 1g
Be sure to check out these other great summer salad recipes:
We love Greek Salad and Feeding Big makes a yummy one.
This Spanish Summer Salad is a great pasta salad option from Homemade By Elle.
This Apple Cole Slaw Salad looks great for a grilled meats from Wondermom Wannabe.
This summer salad with Garden Vegetables from Organized31 looks tasty and filling as well.