Last weekend we took an day trip and spent the morning at a Pick You Own Cherry Orchard. Is it really any surprise that I would now be posting some sweet cherry recipes? I usually only like cherries fresh and not cooked in pies so this is a bit of a challenge for me. Well I think I have been converted back or these cherries were so amazingly fresh that I fell in love with them. I will be sharing 2 Cherry Dessert recipes, a super cherries Jubilee and a Chocolate & Cherry Blondie Recipe.
My first sweet cherry Recipe I was looking for something super quick as the family wanted something for dinner the night we returned from our day trip. Easy for them right! That is when I found this super easy Cherries Jubilee recipe that can be made in 20 minutes. I made it while I was preparing the main course and just reheated before serving over ice cream. Make a double batch, it will be devoured. No worries there will be no flaming cherries with this one.
Cherries Jubilee Recipe
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound sweet cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- pinch fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup Kirsch or brandy ( I used Rave Reviews Brandy)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cherries, sugar, salt, and 1 to 3 tablespoons water (depending on how juicy the cherries are). Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cherries are tender and the liquid is slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the Kirsch or Brandy and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is slightly thickened and the alcohol is cooked off, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice. Remove the skillet from the heat and swirl in the remaining tablespoon of butter. Serve warm over the ice cream.
Want a bite?
The second Sweet Cherry Recipe I made came straight from the Orchard. Of course I had to adapt this recipe to include chocolate because what is a blondie without chocolate and who doesn’t love a chocolate covered cherry?
The recipe suggests layering the batter, cherries then batter. I did not read that party and just mixed everything together. I think it turned out great and everyone in the family really liked it.
Chocolate & Cherry Blondies Recipe
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 1/3 Cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup pitted and halved fresh sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or chunks, the darker the better
1. Combine all ingredients except cherries and Chocolate in a mixing bowl and mix on low until blended. Mix 1 minute on medium speed. Batter will be very thick. Add the chocolate and cherries and mix until blended.
(Original recipe suggests, adding half of the batter in a pan, then adding cherries then topping wiht remaining batter.
2. Bake at 325 degrees 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the middle of the pan comes out clean. Cool on a rack and cut into 16 pieces. (My photos are not true to this size)