My daughter is in love with Red Velvet Cake and I enjoy coming up with new ways to experiment with it. I have made Red Velvet Cupcakes, Red Velvet Cookies, Red Velvet Cake with Cheesecake Filling each one better than the next. I must admit the cake was my favorite just a little time-consuming, but well worth it. Since Valentine’s Day is around the corner I thought I would make Baked Red Velvet Donuts with Cream Cheese Glaze. The best part it starts with a cake mix.
I looked at a few different recipes and was all ready to make the cake doughnuts from scratch and then I found a baked red velvet donut recipe that started with Red Velvet Cake Mix. Perfect for a morning breakfast treat.
What you need for these Baked Red Velvet Donuts with Cream Cheese Glaze
I have made several different donut recipes as well, check out the double chocolate donuts and the baked Pumpkin doughnuts we attempted. Invest in an inexpensive donut pan as well. I purchased 2 pans so I could easily make one dozen donuts at a time.
The batter is very thick so don’t get worried. I also doubled this recipe for 12 donuts.
I found it easiest to move the batter to a large ziploc bag, cut a hole in the corner, and squeese the batter into each cavity. Your hands will be red!!
I think I overfilled the donut cavities but the bigger the better right!!
Now for the fun part, glazing and decorating these Valentine Treats.
I adapted a recipe that was thicker than the proposed recipe and it thickened much quicker.
Not done yet, a few sprinkles are in order don’t you think?
But wait I have some extra cream cheese glaze left over. My grandmother would not let this go to waste, so why should I? Add some red food coloring and decorate these babies even more. The hardest part is waiting for the glaze to harden.
Thought this was an artsy photo!! Enjoy!
Baked Red Velvet Donuts with Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2 1/2 cups Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk + 2 Tbsp
- 2 tsps melted butter
- 4 oz Cream cheese, softened, I use low fat
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat Oven to 425 degrees. Beat all of your ingredients in a small bowl until combined – I used beaters and it was thick.
- Lightly spray your donut pans with cooking spray Spoon in the batter into the donut pan or use a zipock bag to squeeze the batter more neatly.. Only fill about ⅔ the way up.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes. I could smell them early on, so watch them. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Decorate as needed with cream cheese glaze and sprinkles if desired.
- Mix all ingredients together. Dip each donut into the glaze and allow to harden.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 149 Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 9mg Sodium: 308mg Carbohydrates: 19g Sugar: 10g Protein: 3g
Want a bite??