My favorite pie to make over the holidays is my Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie recipe. Every time I make it, it is the first pie to disappear on Thanksgiving. I will never take that off the roster of holiday desserts until told otherwise. However, each year I also like to add something new. Last year I made a Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie Recipe and an Ice Cream Pie Recipe. They were both tasty but I like to try new recipes. I was given the opportunity to check out a new cookbook, Welcome to Honeysuckle Hill by Gwen Rogers. One of my husband’s friends recommended I give it a try. I am a visual cookbook reader, meaning I need to see lots of pictures of the recipes. Probably why I love Pinterest so much. Even if you are not a cook you are going to want to look at this book as the photography is amazing. Look at this chocolate pecan pie recipe.
Here are a few photos from inside the cookbook.
As I was looking thru the cookbook, which is organized by occasion, I found the Thanksgiving section filled with pie recipes. Knowing I needed to try a new recipe, I decided to try the Chocolate Pecan Pie recipe. I had everything on hand, except the bittersweet chocolate chips.
Sorry Gwen, I did not try your crust recipe, just have not perfected that yet so I go with a frozen crust. People are intimidated by pie making and I personally think half the battle is making the crust.
The recipes in this book are easy to follow and most do not contain any obscure ingredients, just things a regular cook would have around or easily available to them.
I melted the chocolate and butter in the microwave instead of on the stovetop. Just stir every 30 seconds until melted.
Mix the eggs until they are foamy. I don’t think my pie recipe requires this I might try it.
After you mix everything together you will have this rich chocolately pie mixture. Can’t wait to see what this will taste like.
I had to bake my pie a little longer than suggested, every oven is different. You don’t want to pull it out until the center is not wiggling a lot, the pie will not set properly.
Doesn’t this pie just look amazing. Rich chocolate, flaked with pecans.
Cut the slices thin as this is super rich and sweet but a great compliment to any holiday dinner or dessert table.
- 1 unbaked 10 inch pie crust (I used frozen)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup raw pecan halves plus extra for decorating
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt together butter and chocolate. I did this in the microwave. Place in a microwave safe dish, heat on high for 1 minute or until melted Stir every 30 seconds.
- With electric mixer, beat eggs until foamy. Add sugar, corn syrup, vanilla extract, and salt
- Add cooled chocolate mixture to egg mixture, adding a little at first, beat until well blended. Fold in nuts by hand. Pour into prepared pie crust and decorate top with pecans. Place pie on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until the middle is set.