Ok once I get a new cookbook it becomes addicting and I try multiple recipes from it as soon as I can! Although Father’s Day has past, warmer weather of summer, brings me out of the kitchen and out to the grill. My husband usually is the griller in our family but sometimes he is not home in time and I am out there . We recently got a new gril so no more worries about self igniting the grill and the house!! Today I want to share one of our new favorite steak recipes, Mustard Skirt Steak Recipe from Barefoot Contessa and her latest cookbook Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust
Amazing Skirt Steak Recipe
This post may contain affiliate ads.
In the past most of the marinades I have tried for skirt steak recipes have been Asian based with soy sauce as a predominate ingredient. This Barefoot Contessa skirt steak recipe is toned down with mustard as it main ingredient. It also uses fresh Tarragon which I don’t think I have ever used before. It has a licorice type flavor, to be honest I was a little nervous about this one!
Another great reason to use skirt steak recipes is that you can usually marinate them overnight or longer which means dinner is a easy as turning on the grill and making some sides. If you have not noticed I get very excited about make ahead recipes.
Consensus: My husband loved this dish. It definitely had a more subtle flavor than what I am used to with Flank Steak but it sure was a moist piece of meat. What can I say another great Barefoot Contessa Recipe!
HOW DO YOU LIKE TO PREPARE SKIRT STEAK?
- 1 flank steak (2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine (like Pinot Grigio)
- 1/3 cup good olive oil
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots (2 shallots)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- Score the top of the steak diagonally in a large crisscross pattern. This allows the marinate to penetrate into the meat. I have never done this before so this is a great tip!
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the wine, olive oil, mustard, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir in shallots and garlic.
- Place steak in a large Ziploc bag and pour the marinate over the steak. Scatter dried tarragon over the top. Close the bag and squish marinate over all of the steak. Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Take steak out of the fridge ½ hour prior to grilling to reach room temp.
- Heat the grill to about 400 degrees. Remove the steak from the bag and discard the remaining marinate.
- Grill the steak about 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Just adjust according to your tastes and thickness of steak
Other posts you might like: