Baked Zucchini Sticks Recipe is a great recipe to use up an abundance of your zucchini crop. Once again it is time for the Secret Recipe Club reveal. So fun to go through other food blogs and find a recipe to try. Even more exciting is to see what others thought was an interesting recipe to try off my blog. It is not revealed until today so here we go! For those of you new to this club concept, each month each blogger is assigned another blog and secretly find a recipe post that we would like to try, finally to reveal our experience with their recipe.
This month’s assignment was one of my favorite group B ladies, Miz Helen’s Country Cottage. Miz Helen shares recipes from her simple living cottage and is the author of a cookbook, Miz Helen’s Kitchen Table cookbook. you will find comfort food recipes to make you feel welcome in her home.
When I received our assignment I had a bounty of Zucchini and chose her recipe for Spicy Zucchini sticks. I only modified the recipe to fit my kids taste buds!
Cutting the zucchini in equal sizes is the most tedious part of the zucchini recipe. The thinner and smaller the zucchini the smaller the seeds. If your kids won’t eat their zucchini this way be sure to check out our yummy Chocolate Zucchini Bread or our super delicious Zucchini bread recipes.
Next set up the stations for the coating right next to each other for easy preparation.
Next place on a coated cooking sheet with some space in between each piece so they can cook evenly.
Then straight into the oven but be sure and turn them. I am not sure what was wrong but I had to put the broiler on for a few minutes to get them crispy. Kids gobbled them up.
Baked Zucchini Sticks Recipe
- 2 to 3 medium Zucchini cut into strips
- 2 egg whites
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup Panko Crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, did not use
- 1/2 teaspoon Chipotle chili powder, did not use
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Wash the Zucchini and cut into 1/2 inch X 3 inch strips
- Place the strips onto a layer of paper towels and generously sprinkle with salt, set aside
- This process will allow the extra moisture to be pulled out of the Zucchini
- Next, in a medium bowl mix the flour, Panko crumbs, cumin, Chipotle chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper together
- In a medium bowl whip the egg whites and the whole egg with 1/4 cup water until mixed well
- With a paper towel pat the tops of the Zucchini strips until the moisture has been removed
- For the breading process, take just a few at a time so you get really good coverage on all sides
- Drop several strips into the egg mixture and then into the flour and panko mixture
- Generously oil a baking sheet with olive oil
- Place the breaded strip onto a well oiled baking sheet making sure that each strip has room and is not touching the other strip
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes then turn the squash strips and continue to cook another 15 to 20 minutes until lightly browned
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes before serving
Adapted from Miz Helen's COuntry Kitchen