Unlike most summers my garden is filled with zucchini. This summer the only things growing are Sunflowers, weeds and a few tomatoes. It is a huge bummer I don’t have a crop of cucumbers or zucchini. Good thing is that the farmers must be successful because there are plenty of great buys on these veggies at the markets. I picked up a bunch of Zucchini last week and sort of forgot about them. Good thing they were still usable when I realized they were hanging out in my veggie drawer and made this yummy and super moist Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Recipe that uses not only Coconut Oil but Greek Yogurt as well.
How to Make Zucchini Bread with Coconut Oil
Never having baked with Coconut Oil before this was a fun little experiment. The packets of coconut oil I had were already melted due to the warm temps of my kitchen. No melting needed. I found that this zucchini recipe was not only flavorful but so moist.
This quick bread recipe starts like any other, dividing the wet and dry ingredients. (I doubled the recipe since I had plenty of ingredients.)
Using a mixture of King Arthur White Whole Wheat and All purpose flour, I was sure it was not going to be dry. I love using the King Arthur White Wheat as it provides the benefits of a whole wheat flour but not as stiff in a recipe. Of course, I added mini chocolate chips to hide any healthiness from the kids!
Add your wet ingredients and stir until just mixed. ( I used a stand-up mixer since I had a double batch)
Place in a loaf pan and set your timer. I started smelling my bread about 15 minutes before baking time was over. I checked both loaves of bread with a wooden skewer and one came out clean. Out it came. Be sure to trust your nose when baking. If you can smell it most likely it is close to done.
Allow your zucchini bread to completely cool. I take the loaves out of the pans about 10 minutes after they are done so they don’t get soggy.
Slice and Enjoy.
I recommend storing this one in the fridge. You can also wrap it in cellophane and place in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months for best flavor.
Zucchini Bread with Coconut Oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup White whole wheat King Arthur flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- 3. In a separate large bowl, combine shredded zucchini, sugars, coconut oil, yogurt, egg, and vanilla extract.
- 4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until moistened. DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Stir in the chocolate chips if desired.
- 5. Pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let zucchini bread cool in pan for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the bread from the pan and cool completely before slicing. Set your timer for 45 minutes and then add on time to avoid over browning or burning.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 292 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 19mg Sodium: 210mg Carbohydrates: 48g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 20g Protein: 7g
Other Zucchini Quick Breads you might like: