They don’t call it a pound cake for anything, have you lifted a truly homemade loaf before, easily over a pound. Easter season growing up usually meant a two-foot long pound cake made by my grandmother. She used a special long loaf pan to make this marble swirl pound cake.
I purchased a pan several years ago and I have made the long version before, here is a picture before my blogging days. We have so many fun pound cake recipes from Lemon Lime pound cake or simple shortcut lemon pound cake.
Chocolate Swirl Pound Cake Recipe
Can I freeze pound cake?
|Before hitting the oven.|
How to make a swirled Pound Cake
To make my version a little different I swirl a little chocolate flavored batter to create the swirl look. Of course, you can also skip the pecans but I love the extra crunch they provide.
Grandma’s Pound Cake
- 1/2 c. Chopped Pecans
- 1/2 lb. Shortening, 1/2 butter & ½ margarine this time I used all butter
- 1 1/2 c. Granulated Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 2 c. Sifted Cake Flour
- 1/3 tsp. Mace
- 4 tsp Salt
- 1/3 c. Milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1/4 c. Cocoa, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter the oblong cake pan generously with butter.
- Cream shortening, sugar and eggs with mixer. In separate bowl, mix flour, salt and mace.
- Mix milk and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and milk mixture to mixer a little at a time until finished.
- Spread bottom of pan with pecans before adding dough. Save some pecans for top of dough.
- Once pour dough in pan, place a crease in top of dough and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Then lower oven to 325 degrees and bake
- for about an hour.
- For Swirled version: Fill the pan leaving about a 1/3 of the batter in the mixing bowl. Stir in Cocoa until blended. If not dark enough for your taste, add a tablespoon at a time. Pour Chocolate batter on top and use a knife to gently swirl batter together
Nutrition InformationYield 20 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 257Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 37mgSodium 485mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 1gSugar 15gProtein 3g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on stayingclosetohome.com should only be used as a general guideline.