Valentine’s Day Themed Simply Layered cookies in a Jar is a great way to say thank you to a teacher, babysitter or neighbor this valentines Day. This is an activity the kids can help with if you don’t mind a little mess on the counter and the recipient can choose when to make the sweet treat!! Valentine’s Day Layered cookies in a Jar are easy to make and the kids will love them too. The kids used the leftover foam hearts from the heart garland to make valentines for their teachers which also serve as the directions tag! Post Updated 1/17/17 Be sure to scroll down for the free Printable.
TIPS for Simply Layered Cookies In a Jar :
- Just be sure to press the ingredients lightly with each layer addition or you will run out of room.
- This recipe can be adapted for any occasion.
- Use whatever we have in the pantry to equal the 1 1/2 cups of chips. (m&ms, toffee bites, white chips etc…)
- If you don’t have fabric, a cupcake liner will work on smaller lids. Just glue it on.
- I bought 1/2 yard of fabric at JoAnn’s and it cost 1.75, will make a lot of covers!!
- Use a canning funnel to help keep the mess down, seemed to work well for the kids.
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1 cup Semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, white or semi sweet chip, M&M's, raisins, or nuts
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
- Layer the ingredients in a 1 quart glass canister or jar in the following orde (from top to bottom): Granulated sugar, the 1 cup of chips, the brown sugar, flour mixture, oats and 1/2 chips. Tap jar gently on the counter to settle each layer before adding the next one.
- Cover: attach baking directions to jar.
- heat oven to 375'. empty contents of jar into large bowl. add 1/2 c softened butter, 1 slightly beaten egg and 1 tsp vanilla extract. stir until well mixed. drop dough by heaping tsp 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. bake 8-10 mins or until edges are lightly browned. remove
- from cookie sheet to wire rack. makes 2 doz
We hope you make a bunch of these for all your Valentine’s this year and we would love to see how you package them. Or try our Valentine’s Day Saltine Toffee Recipe as a great Valentine’s Day gift too.