We updated this post from 2011 and I sent them to school for a teacher appreciation brunch!
What valentine in your home would not love to be woken up with a banana chocolate chip muffin with cream cheese frosting? It is still a muffin, right? My husband was not sure why I was feeding my kids cupcakes after school, but then I explained and he changed his mind!
How to Make the Best Banana Bread Muffins
I don’t have a “go-to” banana bread recipe but this the banana muffin recipe I included a recipe for this post that we liked.
Typically, I find that I look for one that has similar ingredients that I have on hand and still improvise!! If you have an incredible go-to recipe please comment and leave your link in my comments.
I had some pink cupcake holders already so this was my Valentine’s Day muffin inspiration.
Banana bread is a great brunch item unless I pre-sliced the loaf, it is not great for a buffet. This why we decided on making muffins instead. Plus cooking time is cut in half. You could also make mini muffins for a large crowd.
How to make easy banana muffins extra special?
- Mini chips: Adding mini chocolate chips is always a welcome addition to quick breads.
- Peanut powder: for an extra boost of protein and a peanut flavor substitute some of the flour for the powder. Find a recipe here: Peanut Butter Banana Muffins Recipe
- Streusel topping: Added crunch to any quick bread. Blueberry Muffin-Ina Garten Streusel Blueberry Muffins
Best way to Transport Muffins
If we need to bring cupcakes or muffins to pot luck I really love this cupcake carrier! Buy it here: Ultimate Party Server on Amazon.
What type of frosting goes with banana bread?
Cream Cheese Frosting came to mind as we love our Old Fashion Banana Cake Recipe.
Teachers deserve a little extra special treat so I decided it make these boring banana muffins a with cream cheese frosting.
Once your muffins are cool, make the cream cheese frosting. I doubled this frosting recipe to have the cone-shaped top, but if you just want a thin layer on each muffin, this recipe is more than enough.
These might be too pretty to eat… Nah, Want a bite?
Banana Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting
Banana Chocolate chip muffins with cream cheese frosting is the perfect Valentines Day Breakfast or afternoon snack.
- 2 bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 3/4 C canola oil
- 1/4 C buttermilk (or 1/4 milk + 1 t vinegar)
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 C flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- Thin layer of Frosting recipe**
- 1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tb butter, softened
- 2 1/2-3 C powdered sugar
- 1 Tb milk
- dash salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
2. Into your stand mixer or large mixing bowl, place the egg and banana. Mix on medium speed until the two are well combined.
3. Add the sugar, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla and mix until combined.
5. Fold the dry ingredients to the wet. Stir just until combined. You want to be sure not to over mix.
6. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
7. Pour the batter into the muffin cups, about 2/3 of the way full.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Allow the muffins to cool inside the pan for 10 minutes. Remove them to a wire rack and allow them to cool completely.
10. To make the frosting, place all ingredients into a medium-sized mixing bowl and mix with hand beaters until smooth and silky.
11. Frost each muffin with the frosting.
Double the frosting for a cupcake look
Nutrition InformationYield 15 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 528Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 33mgSodium 221mgCarbohydrates 97gFiber 1gSugar 81gProtein 3g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on stayingclosetohome.com should only be used as a general guideline.