Did the title of this recipe make you look twice? Yes it says Greek Yogurt Chocolate Cake Recipe. We love making dessert in our home but once in a while I like to try to adapt recipes to make them a little healthier. This decadent and moist chocolate cake recipe was adapted from a Southern Living Magazine cake that called for mayonnaise and 2 lbs of confectionery sugar. Yes my husband could not believe it until he saw the actual bag size in my house that I happened to have on hand. Check out our Greek Yogurt Bark too.
Ok let’s get down to business, ok maybe I should have said let’s get baking. This is a simple sheet cake recipe that won’t last long in your house. Dressed up with a dark chocolate cream cheese frosting leaves it open to many yummy toppings. We chose chocolate Easter eggs since it is close to the holiday.
If you have a mixer you can easily make this recipe. I was a little nervous as I felt the cake batter was runny but the cake turned out amazing.
We used a pyrex 9×13 dish but you can use a ceramic or even a metal baking pan.
For the Chocolate Cream Cheese frosting, we reduced the sugar by half and used ⅓ less fat cream cheese. Plus using dark chocolate cocoa adds benefits right!
If you are looking for a more traditional Mayonnaise chocolate Cake recipe, be sure to check out our Peppermint Chocolate Cake recipe we made over the holidays. Greek yogurt can be used to make a lot of different recipes like Dog Cakes, Frozen DogTreats, Greek Dishes and breakfast smoothies and parfaits. We use it in place of sour cream for garnish as well. Next time you see it at the grocery store pick up a container.
Greek Yogurt Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese FrostingYield: 12 ServingsPrep Time: 20 minutesCook Time: 35 minutesTotal Time: 55 minutes
A super moist Chocolate sheet cake layered with yummy chocolate cream cheese frosting
- FOR THE CAKE
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 2/3 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, we used non fat
- 1 1/3 cups hot water or coffee would be yummy too
- For the Chocolate-Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8- oz. package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 16 oz package powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa we used dark cocoa
- 5 to 6 Tbsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together flour and next 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Grease with cooking spray (I like the baking spray) a 13- x 9-inch pan.
- Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla at medium-high speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer about 3 minutes or until mixture is very light brown and ribbons form when beater is lifted. Add yogurt , and beat at low speed until combined
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture alternately with hot water, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour).
- Spread Chocolate-Cream Cheese Frosting on the cake.
Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Whisk together powdered sugar and cocoa in a medium bowl; gradually add to butter mixture alternately with 5 Tbsp. cream. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. (If needed, add up to 1 Tbsp. cream, 1 tsp. at a time, to reach desired consistency.) Increase speed to medium, and beat 1 to 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 542Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 88mgSodium 326mgCarbohydrates 89gFiber 2gSugar 65gProtein 9g
Did you scroll all the way down, there is a recipe down there.
Loving the Greek yogurt in this cake. I think there are no instructions for the recipe though 🙂
I did have to do a double-take on the addition of greek yogurt to chocolate cake, but seeing that the original recipe called for mayo, the greek yogurt is a definite improvement.
I need to use greek yogurt more. There are so many recipes that it works in! I need to try them!
This cake looks delish!! I can only imagine, with Greek yogurt in the recipe, how moist it must be! I love Greek yogurt and I love chocolate…I can’t wait to try this!
This cake looks so yummy. I love that you substituted yogurt to make it healthier.
Oh my godh. That looks so yummy. Great combination.
Looks yummy, thanks for sharing!
I love the idea of sneaking in some Greek yogurt! Sure to get a super moist cake!
Who says you can’t enjoy dark chocolate and yogurt in a cake while being healthy?
Looks so yummy! I love to make cakes with greek yogurt, it makes them so fluffy and delicious!
This sounds divine! Pinning for later!
Just the pictures alone are making me hungry! Love the recipe!
That sounds so good right now. I need to try and make this. Greek yogurt is so useful!
I’m on a health kick and I like the idea of greek yogurt chocolate cake.
I love baking and cooking with yogurt. This cake looks amazing thanks for sharing
This sounds really good. I bet adding the yogurt makes it nice and creamy!
Everything chocolate wins in my book, but I especially like making baked goodies a bit healthier with ingredients like Greek yogurt. Sounds yummy!
Everyone keeps telling me to try greek yogurt, I am pretty sure this recipe convinced me
I am so in love today. It’s monday and everyone is writing about chocolate in some form.
That looks absolutely delicious!
That sounds delicious. I can not wait to try this.