We were hosting our final confirmation group last weekend and if I learned anything, 16-year-old girls love sweet over savory. Well, at least this group of 13 does. The meeting came up quicker than I could prepare so I hit the pantry for any shortcut ideas. Finding a box of chocolate cake mix, I decided to adapt the Cake Mix Blondie recipe I made for them a few months ago and make a triple chocolate cookie bar made from Chocolate Cake Mix. I had run out of chocolate chips so I added white chocolate chips, and maybe too many. If you need a recipe to feed a crowd in a pinch, these cookie bars made from cake mix are definitely the way to go. Of course, you can always make cake mix cookies in a pinch too.
How to Make Chocolate Cake Mix Bar Cookies
This is a great recipe to get the kids in the kitchen. Only a few ingredients and in about 10 minutes your dessert batter is made for any dessert loving crowd. The batter will be very stiff, but if you feel it is unspreadable, add another tablespoon of water. You don’t want it runny though. Remember it is a cookie dough.
Look what comes out of the oven. Your kitchen will be bursting with amazing scents. Serve it slightly warm for the ultimate flavor burst in your mouth. Maybe add a scoop of vanilla ice cream too. I simply covered them up and cut them the next day.
How can anyone resist this incredibly easy sweet treats? They are a little crumbly but that might be because I baked them too long. Be sure to check on them before the timer goes off.
Bar Cookies from Chocolate Cake Mix Recipe
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 18.25 ounce package cake mix or 15.3 plus 1 box of pudding
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 2 cups chocolate chips, white and semisweet combo if desired
- 1 4 oz instant pudding mix (if smaller cake mix box), chocolate or vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in water and egg, then stir in cake mix and pudding if using. Finally, mix in nuts and chocolate chips. Spread mixture into pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes in the preheated oven. Check at 25 minutes as you do not want to overcook these. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 408 Saturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 19mg Sodium: 353mg Carbohydrates: 52g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 35g Protein: 6g
Who would like a bite?
Be sure to pin this for your next last-minute chocolate cake dessert to feed a crowd.