This shop about Two Snack Mix Recipes for Back To School has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MilkMadeEasy #CollectiveBias
As parents of teens, we all struggle with finding good afternoon snacks that the kids will not only devour but will keep them fueled after sports and before dinner. Sweet and salty is definitely something I crave after a long day or work out so these are a favorite of mine as well.
Two Snack Mix Recipes for Back To School
My kids love Caramel corn popcorn and pretzels so we decided to mix the two ingredients but kick it up a notch and make a snack recipe that had it all and then some.
SWEET AND SALTY POPCORN SNACK MIX
We had some leftover cereal from our Cookies and cream puppy chow so we decided to add this to the mix as well to round it off the crunch factor.
The recipe is simple and takes minutes to throw together.
Make the “caramel” mixture on the stove, being careful not to burn it.
Carefully spread the caramel over the popcorn mixture and then stir gently to make sure everything is covered. There was a little pooling of the mixture at the bottom which is fine, you will just have to break up the pieces more when it cools.
Bake the mixture for 20 minutes, stirring once midway. The cereal will get crumbly if you are not too careful when you mix the ingredients.
Allow the mixture to cool slightly then add your Chocolate covered peanut candies.
Once the mixture cools completely, the caramel and the saltiness are a perfect combination. Trust me you can’t keep this on your counter, it will be devoured. Be sure to keep covered, especially during these hot fall days
Then just bag up and send to school or keep for an afternoon snack with a carton of Hershey’s® 2% Chocolate Shelf Stable Milk. Another great way to recover after a hard school day or sports practice.
Cinnamon Apple Snack Mix Recipe
Maybe your kids don’t have a sweet tooth or you just want to keep the sugar content lower before dinner time. Even though my kids are older they still love those little round cereal pieces, especially in different flavors.
This cinnamon apple snack mix does not require any baking or cooking, it is just a trail mix kids will enjoy packed up in their lunch box or sports bag for a quick bite.
We simply mixed apple cinnamon O’s, honey roasted peanuts, raisins or cran-raisins, and chocolate candy-coated candies. Simply mix in a big bowl and store in an airtight container.
Package up a bag and also pack it up with a container of convenient and ready to drink Hershey’s® 2% Chocolate Shelf Stable Milk. The perfect combination to get the energy back.
You can find Hershey’s® 2% Chocolate Shelf Stable Milk in the breakfast, shelf-stable milk at Publix.
Hershey’s® 2% Chocolate Shelf Stable Milk (12 pack)
- Shelf stable, long shelf life (13 months)
- Grade A 2% Reduced Fat rBST Free Milk
- Refrigerate when ready to use. It is best served cold but there is no worry about it not being in the fridge.
- Made with Hershey’s cocoa so you know it is rich in chocolate flavor.
There is no worry that your younger kids can’t puncture the carton with those hard to use straws. No straw needed for these; cartons have recloseable caps so if they don’t finish the entire carton, which is rare, they can save it for later.
SWEET AND SALTY POPCORN SNACK MIX RECIPE
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- 3 cups Corn and Rice Cereal cereal
- 1-1/2 cups small twist pretzels
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups Peanut Candies
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour popped popcorn out onto foil-lined baking sheet careful to pick out any unpopped kernels.
- Add cereal and pretzels and spread out evenly with popcorn.
- Melt butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and then allow to boil for two minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and use a spoon to drizzle the mixture over the popcorn mixture in an even stream. Carefully Toss the popcorn mixture to distribute caramel mixture and spread it back out in an even layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Stir the mixture carefully again and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Allow to cool 5 minutes and then add the peanut candies and toss one more time.
- Break up any large pieces once completely cooled. (about 10 more minutes )
Store in an airtight container or zippered plastic storage bags.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 cups Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 797Total Fat 44gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 25gCholesterol 41mgSodium 743mgCarbohydrates 93gFiber 8gSugar 48gProtein 18g
Grab a coupon to buy your own 12 Pack
Now that I have you excited about afterschool snacks, head to your Publix and grab a 12 pack for an even better value? Get your Publix coupon You must be logged in with your Publix ID to view this Hershey’s® load to card special offer. Offer good until – 09/07/19