But first I will throw myself a little pity party, I had to make my own cake on my birthday. BOoo HOo I know. That said I had picked a tart recipe for my family to make….but after reading it I realized it had to sit for 6 hours and I knew with our schedule that would not happen.
I then went further in Ina Garten’s Cookbook and found a simple and what she refers to as a Fool Proof cake. Well, I had the recipe book open, I had some of the ingredients out on the counter, hint hint hint, but I still ended up making it.
How to Make a Flourless Cake Ina Garten Style
|BAKED AND OUT OF THE OVEN|
Now for the Ganache topping. This is actually the first time I made a ganache to frost a cake. DON’T HAVE A DOUBLE BOILER, NO PROBLEM! Simply use a glass bowl inside of a sauce pan filled with water. Just make sure water can not get into the bowl or your chocolate is ruined.
Truly anyone in my family could have made thisBarefoot Contessa Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe, it was so easy. However, it is so rich you only need a small slice.
My husband and kids were complaining about the smell, a little coffee in the ganache but once they tasted it they were quiet.
Ina Garten Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
Other Chocolate Cake Recipe you might like is this Rich Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Chip Frosting.
Source: INA GARTEN BAREFOOT CONTESSA
- 1/4 lb butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 16 ounce can hershey chocolate syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- For the ganache
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter and flour an 8 inch round cake pan, then the bottom with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Mix in the syrup and vanilla.
- Add the flour and mix until JUST combined (overbeating with make the cake too tough).
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until just set in the middle.
- Let cool thoroughly in the pan.
- For the ganache, cook the heavy cream, chocolate chips, and coffee in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally.
- Place the cake upside down on a wire rack and pour the glaze evenly over the top, making sure to cover the entire cake and sides.
- You can tilt the rack to smooth the glaze.
- Do not refrigerate.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 406 Saturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 107mg Sodium: 113mg Carbohydrates: 42g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 28g Protein: 5g