For my husband’s birthday this year, he once again requested a chocolate cake with white frosting. If you know me, then you know if I have made this cake in the past, I need to mix things up a little. I have never made a filling for a cake, outside of a frosting like this German Chocolate cake. I was up for the challenge to make a dark chocolate cake and fill it with a homemade Strawberry filling. To achieve his wish for White Frosting, well buttercream of course. (Disclaimer, I did try to make a cooked frosting and it did not work). Despite the mishap with the frosting, by far this was one of my favorite cakes yet. By far this was the best strawberry filling for a chocolate cake I have tried.
Dark Chocolate Cake with Strawberry Filling
I just love making a dark chocolate cake with a little coffee in the batter. Coffee really brings out the chocolate flavor and creates a dense batter. The steps are pretty simple to make this cake, just be sure to add parchment paper to your pans and spray the sides well.
While you are baking the cakes, make the strawberry filling.
How to make strawberry filling for a chocolate cake
Heck, you can make this strawberry cake filling a few days in advance. You want the strawberry filling to sit in the fridge to set up perfectly. The recipe I used made enough strawberry filling for two 8 inch cakes, so we used the extra on some waffles. Not sure which way I enjoyed it more.
I had fresh strawberries but you can use frozen strawberries as well, just not the ones with sugar syrup. I am sure this recipe would work for raspberries or mixed berries if that suited your tastes.
Assemble the cakes by adding a nice layer of strawberry filling. Use a small layer of frosting on the bottom cake layer, just to prevent any soggy cake layers. My husband thought I put too much as I had some challenges getting the frosting not to mix with the strawberry filling. OH well, this is what makes it homemade.
Since we did not use any frosting for the filling, this cake had a great thick layer of white buttercream frosting.
Of course, he wanted to have chocolate sprinkles, so that was the extent of the decorations for this dark chocolate cake with strawberry filling.
Slice into this decadent yet delicious dark chocolate cake for your next special occasion. Trust me this might be a keeper for your birthday too.
Other chocolate cake recipes you are going to want to try!
Best Chocolate Cake Recipe with Strawberry Filling
- 1 oz dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- ½ cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup hot coffee
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1⅓ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups frozen or fresh strawberries, thawed and cut into bite size pieces
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice, optional
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 lb confectionery sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1-3 TBSP Milk
- For Cake
- Heat oven to 325. Grease two 8-inch round cake pans and line with parchment paper. Grease the parchment.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chocolate and cocoa powder. Pour the hot coffee into this same bowl and whisk to combine. Stir in the buttermilk until smooth.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well and scraping down the sides after each addition. Mix in the vanilla. Scrape down the bowl and mix again for 30 seconds.
- Add in the flour in three parts, alternating with the chocolate mixture.
- Divide the batter among the prepared pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes, rotating halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes. Turn out onto the rack and let cool completely.
- FOR FILLING
- Whisk water and cornstarch together in a large saucepan.
- Stir strawberries and sugar into the water. (add lime juice if using)
- Cook strawberry mixture over medium heat until thick, about 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before use.
- In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 768 Saturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 105mg Sodium: 364mg Carbohydrates: 114g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 93g Protein: 5g
What is your favorite cake combination?