Texas Sheet Cake Recipe- Cake for a Crowd post may contain affiliate links.
We love making cakes, especially for our family’s birthdays. However, we are looking for a quick dessert to feed a crowd and don’t have time to let the cake layers cool and then assemble the cake, a Texas sheet cake is the perfect solution. Not many cakes can you pour the frosting over a warm cake. This is a forget it and go type recipe, that even my 15-year old baked all on her own. This cake is baked in a 10×13 baking pan and is very dense in flavor that you can easily serve 20 people off one cake. I think I would even make this for a dessert buffet and just cut it into bite-size portions for a wonderful bite of chocolate. Making desserts for a crowd does not have to be hard, just get an arsenal of great recipes.
Texas Sheet Cake Recipe- Desserts for a Crowd
The Texas Sheet Cake Recipe is exceptionally moist and rich in chocolate flavor that I am sure the entire crowd will be thrilled to indulge. So next time you plan on bringing a dessert to a party, bake up a tray of this Texas Sheet Cake, you won’t be disappointed.
This is the perfect cake to bake up for a crowd. Maybe you are hosting a Super Bowl party or just having friends over for a potluck, serve up this make-ahead cake in no time. The best part is that you could easily decorate it later for any occasion.
What makes this Texas Sheet Cake Recipe so easy, is you frost the cake while it is warm out of the oven. No waiting around for it to cool. The frosting is sweet and made easily on the stovetop while you wait for the cake to bake.
This cake stayed moist for several days. We did not add nuts to the frosting as is traditional for Chocolate sheet cakes because my youngest does not care for nuts in things. You can easily add it to the top for decoration.
Be sure to pin this recipe for your next dessert for a crowd need.
I could use a slice right now if I was not trying to limit my sweets in the new year.
What your favorite dessert to make for a crowd? Don’t have one that you need to try this Texas Sheet Cake Recipe.
Other Cake recipes you might like:
Texas Sheet Cake Recipe- Easy Dessert for a Crowd
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbs vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 1/2 cups 1 lb confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10x15 inch pan.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat in the sour cream and eggs. Set aside. Melt the butter on low in a saucepan, add the water and 5 tablespoons cocoa. Bring mixture to a boil then remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly, then stir cocoa mixture into the egg mixture, mixing until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- For the icing: In a large saucepan, combine the milk, 5 tablespoons cocoa and 1/2 cup butter. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Stir in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla, then fold in the nuts, mixing until blended. Spread frosting over warm cake.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 351 Saturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 56mg Sodium: 194mg Carbohydrates: 51g Sugar: 41g Protein: 2g