If you have been a reader for a while you have learned that for each person’s birthday in our family they get to pick their birthday dinner and their birthday cake. This is the one day that I can’t put any input or change ingredients that I think would work better. For my 13-year-old son’s birthday last week he created this cake combination. While I was a little skeptical, my family agreed that this chocolate vanilla birthday cake was a winner. So if you find yourself in a situation where you can’t choose between chocolate or vanilla cake, make this amazing chocolate vanilla birthday cake recipe. Hey, it’s your birthday, you are allowed to splurge a little bit.
This is the one time that I definitely do not skimp out and start with a box cake mix. Trust me there are plenty of other recipes that I do, but the on their birthday, my family gets the real deal. It is a little extra work but worth it in the end.
I made a single recipe for a vanilla and a chocolate cake. Pretty straight forward. I found the vanilla cake to be denser than the chocolate cake but it was a great combination when put together.
My son suggested we put hot fudge filling in the middle along with cream cheese frosting. I just could not do it, so I made a simple ganache. It is simple and easy so why not make the real thing. I cut each cake in half horizontally and added ganache to one side.
After I put it together, I realized I should have alternated each flavor but who cares it all tastes the same. Next time I will make it vanilla, chocolate, vanilla chocolate. For this cake, I definitely suggest making a crumb coat with the cream cheese frosting. Then allow it to sit in the fridge to harden slightly. I also used a few skewers to keep the cake together in the fridge.
Chocolate Vanilla Birthday Cake
Apply your final frosting coat to the cake and I added some chocolate jimmies for fun. Cover and store in the fridge to be sure the frosting hardens well and the cake does not slide.
Ok, it is time to cut into the cake. You can not really see the ganache layer but it is in there.
Who wants a slice of this yumminess? Any takers? It may not be a perfectly straight and even cake, but it was made with love and that is what counts!
Now you don’t have to decide if you want chocolate or vanilla cake, indulge in this chocolate vanilla birthday cake, any time of year.
Chocolate Vanilla Birthday Cake Recipe
- VANILLA CAKE
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 1 1/3 cups ( sugar
- 1 1/3 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa such as Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa or Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs room temp
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 ounces 1 cup chocolate chips
- 6 ounces cream we used half and half
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar- sifted
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two 9" x 2" round cake pans: one for the vanilla cake, one for the chocolate. If desired, line with parchment, and grease the parchment; this will ensure the cakes turn out intact.
- 1) To make the vanilla cake: Whisk together the yogurt or sour cream, eggs, sugar, salt, baking powder, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- 2) Stir in the flour, mixing till smooth.
- 3) Pour the batter into one of the prepared pans.
- 4) Bake the cake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the cake is beginning to brown on top. I
- 5) Remove the cake from the oven, and after 10 minutes turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool.
- 6) To make the chocolate cake: Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- 7) Add the eggs, oil, and vanilla, beating until smooth.
- 8) Gradually add the water, beating until smooth.
- 9) Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- 10) Bake the cake for about 35 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- 11) Remove the cake from the oven, and after 10 minutes turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool.
- 12) Divide the cooled cakes in half horizontally, to make four round layers. Place one vanilla layer on a serving plate.
- 13) To make the filling: Combine the chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat until the cream is very hot, and the chocolate very soft.
- 14) Stir to melt the chocolate completely, reheating very briefly if necessary.
- 15) Spread 1/3 of the filling on the cake, spreading to within about ½" of the edge. Add 3/4 cup of cream a cream cheese layer
- 16) Top with a chocolate layer. Spread with 1/3 of the filling and 3/4 cup of the cream cheese frosting
- 17) Top with the second vanilla layer. Add the rest of the chocolate filling and cream cheese frosting
- 18) Top with the second chocolate layer.
- 19) Anchor the layers together with bamboo skewers, so they remain perfectly centered as the filling cools. Apply a crumb coat of the cream cheese frosting. It’s best to let the filling set for an hour before finishing frosting the cake
- For Cream cheese frosting Beat softened butter and cream cheese until well blended.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until creamy.
- Cover cake and place in fridge until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 896Saturated Fat 37gCholesterol 188mgSodium 619mgCarbohydrates 87gFiber 2gSugar 48gProtein 11g
Other Birthday Cakes you might be interested in: