This Ina Garten Chicken Chili Recipe post was updated with new pictures and tips 1/17/17.
Ina Garten Chicken Chili Recipe is great comfort food and a twist of traditional chili. I used to be part of the , BAREFOOT BLOGGERS that tests Ina Garten recipes.
This month we have the challenge to do 5 predetermined recipes in a week. The first one I accomplished was her Chicken Chili.
With the temperatures going down we all crave chili in our house. I have never made a chicken chili before so I was a little skeptical but knew that I have found very few Barefoot Contessa recipes that I did not like.
Most of you will have the items in your pantry already, except I only had skinless/boneless chicken breasts as well as a few green peppers still in my garden.
Roast the chicken per the recipe just cut the time down. Or you can make the chicken in your Instant Pot to save even more time.
When I made this the second time, I used bone-in chicken breasts and roasted a few extra chicken breasts to add to my Cheddar Corn Chowder the same week.
Ina Garten Chicken Chili Recipe
Make this chicken chili in a large dutch oven. We also vamped up the spices the second time we made this Barefoot Contessa Chicken Chili recipe.
Can you make this Chili Ahead of Time?
Bake the chicken the day ahead of time or make some extra breasts while baking another recipe. I think chili gets better with time also
Make the recipe in the morning and then set in the keep warm setting of a slow cooker.
Chili to me needs to have a bit of a kick and the original Ina Garten chili recipe did not do that for us.
Everyone in the family enjoyed the Chicken Chili Recipe, and I will definitely do it again.
Other Chili Recipes You Might Like:
Barefoot Contessa’s Chicken Chili Recipe
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions, 3 onions
- 1/8 cup good olive oil, plus extra for chicken
- 1/8 cup minced garlic, 2 cloves
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced
- 2 tablepoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for chicken
- 2 28-ounce cans whole peeled plum tomatoes in puree, undrained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil leaves
- 4 split chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Corn
- For serving
- Chopped onions, corn chips, grated cheddar, sour cream
- Warm up the oil in a large stock pot or dutch oven. Cook the onions in the oil over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne, and salt. Cook for 1 minute. Mean while Crush the tomatoes by hand with a scissors or in batches in a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add to the pot with the basil. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rub the chicken breasts with olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast the chicken for 35 to 40 minutes, until just cooked.
- Let cool slightly. Separate the meat from the bones and skin and cut it into 3/4-inch chunks.
- Add the chicken and corn to the chili and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes.
- Serve with the toppings, or refrigerate and reheat gently before serving.
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 446 Total Fat 16g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 10g Cholesterol 100mg Sodium 889mg Carbohydrates 40g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 8g Sugar 19g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 39g