During the holidays I am always looking for easy recipes that I can make ahead and freeze. Fudge is a quick and easy dessert recipe but it is also a great gift idea. Wrap up several pieces of fudge in a glass jar or simple paper box for a quick and thoughtful gift idea.
This Chocolate Mint Fudge is special in that is has three layers which makes it just a pleasing to the eye as it is to the tummy. Don’t worry it is just as simple just a few extra steps. Be sure to take a look at our layered peppermint fudge from last year.
The first layer is no different than a typical chocolate fudge recipe. Allow it to cool while you make the middle layer.
Using white chocolate chips, green food coloring (if desired) and some peppermint extract gets you this middle layer.
You can keep it white if you don’t want to color it green. Just thought it was more festive.
For the 3rd layer, it is more of a ganache. No condensed milk just chocolate and a little shortening.
Then take it out and cut it into small pieces. This is a rich fudge and only a little bite is needed. . (You will want more, trust me)
Other Yummy Peppermint Holiday Treats:
Layered Chocolate Mint Fudge
- 2.5 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk, divided
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1.5 cups white baking chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract, or more, go by your taste preference
- 2 drops green food coloring
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with baking paper.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt 1.5 cups chocolate with ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk, stirring occasionally. Take off heat and add vanilla extract. Spread melted chocolate mixture into pan and chill for 5-10 minutes.
- In another saucepan, melt white chocolate with remaining condensed milk, stirring until completely smooth. Remove from the heat and add peppermint extract and food coloring. Spread mint layer over chilled chocolate layer. Chill for 5-10 minutes as you make final layer.
- Melt remaining 1 cup chocolate with 1 tsp shortening in the microwave in 30 second increments. Stir until completely smooth. Spread over chilled mint layer
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until fudge is completely set.
- Cut into squares. Store in an airtight container in the fridge up to two weeks.
Amount Per Serving Calories 206 Saturated Fat 7g Cholesterol 4mg Sodium 14mg Carbohydrates 19g Fiber 1g Sugar 16g Protein 2g