This post Make Ahead Breakfast Food: Breakfast Burritos was previously sponsored and I have updated it.
Back to school means back to busy schedules. I beg for the routine but dread the amount of time I spend in my car and limited time to make dinner.
Sometimes we have to have dinner on the run, and on those days I usually like to make breakfast for dinner or have some pre-made things in the freezer. These breakfast burritos cover both bases. Plus they are lean using Shady Brook Farms Ground Turkey Sausage.
Freezer Ready Breakfast Burritos
I was so thrilled to find the ground turkey sausage. When I have needed ground turkey sausage before, I usually had to take off the casing which is not a huge deal, but this is definitely a time saver. Thanks so much, Shady Brooks Farm for making cooking leaner meals easier.
What kind of meat can I use in a breakfast burrito?
We love using turkey instead of ground beef or pork because it is lean and tasty. I don’t tell my family until after dinner is served if I substituted turkey in our meatballs or burgers.
They need to taste it first! We are trying to eat leaner and rarely ever make beef tacos anymore, as ground turkey is an excellent substitution.
Can I freeze these Breakfast Burritos?
This breakfast burritos recipe is super simple and when you have some extra time, make a double batch. I have 3 kids and the recipe only makes 6 burritos so if I pull these out for dinner, they are gone.
Trust me it is totally worth having homemade breakfast burritos that you control what you put in them. Since you mix everything in after you make the eggs, you can customize for each kid. (If you are willing!!)
First things first, cook your breakfast Sausage. I added chopped onions and red pepper at this time too. Always cook turkey to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
I have a friend that always uses a meat thermometer when she cooks the ground turkey, I just make sure there is absolutely no pink left in the pan.
To reduce the fat, even more, I drain the sausage on a paper towel, reserving some of the oil/ juice to cook the eggs.
Scramble up 12 beaten eggs until pretty dry. Since this is going into the freezer I don’t like much moisture on the eggs. If serving the burritos immediately; cook the eggs to your preference.
Top the scrambled eggs with the sausage mixture and shredded cheese and mix well.
How to assemble a burrito?
Now its time to assemble the burritos. Don’t overfill the tortillas or they will break apart.
Place 1 cup of the egg and sausage mixture onto the middle of the tortilla.
Fold in the sides of the tortilla.
Then roll the other side onto itself.
Place the burritos seam side down on a cookie sheet.
How to Freeze Homemade Burritos
If you plan on freezing these breakfast burritos for another night, put plastic wrap over the tray and place it in the fridge to cool completely.
When cooled, wrap each burrito in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag.
Best way to prepare frozen breakfast burrito
When you are ready to serve the breakfast burritos, simply wrap one in a paper towel and reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Let them sit another 30-45 seconds.
We love to top our breakfast sausage burritos with sour cream and fresh salsa.
Get more back to school meal inspiration from Shady Brook Farms Facebook page.
Freezer Food: Breakfast Burritos
- 1 lb. ground turkey sausage
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green or red peppers
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese
- 8 flour tortillas, - I use whole wheat
- Cook sausage, onions, and pepper in a non stick skillet coated with cooking spray. Drain on paper towel reserving some of the oil.
- Beat eggs in large bowl and add to skillet. Cook eggs in butter, stirring frequently, until scrambled and set. take off the heat. Add cooked sausage and cheese to egg mixture and mix gently.
- Place about 1 cup egg and sausage mixture onto each tortilla Roll up each tortilla to make burritos, folding in the ends and rolling up. Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheets and freeze until solid. Then wrap individually and package in zip-lock freezer bags.
- When you’re ready to eat, unwrap the burritos, wrap loosely in microwave safe paper towel and heat in the microwave on high power for 1-3 minutes until hot and cheese is melted.
- You can also thaw burritos in the refrigerator overnight, then wrap each in foil and bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until hot.
Nutrition InformationYield 8
Amount Per Serving Calories 573Saturated Fat 10gCholesterol 317mgSodium 1223mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 33g