Last Valentine’s Day I made some Swirled Colored Heart Cookies. I loved how they turned out and they really are pretty simple. For St. Patrick’s Day this year I thought I would work on the theme of Rainbows and the pot of gold with these rainbow cookies..
Perhaps you want a treat after going to the movie, Oz the Great and Powerful! Find your favorite icebox cookie recipe–preferably without brown sugar, I learned the hard way, and you are on your way.
WHAT KIND OF SUGAR COOKIE DOUGH SHOULD I USE?
You could also use pre- made sugar cookie dough, I just don’t like the flavor of that personally.
Pot of Gold Rainbow Cookie Recipe
How soon in advance should I make the dough?
How to make Rainbow Cookies:
Make your favorite Ice Box Cookie Dough recipe and allow the dough to stiffen up either in the fridge or freezer
- Cut the dough log into 6 (if using 6 colors) pieces going in ascending order.
- Add one food coloring gel to each dough ball, purple being the smallest and put back into the freezer
- Start with the purple dough and make a small dough log
- Take the blue and roll out into a rectangle the length of the purple log
- Wrap the blue dough around the purple log making sure the seam is closed
- Repeat with remaining colors, Refreeze until hard
7. Cut off 1/2 inch or so at each end to make perfect swirl log.
8. Cut into 1/2 inch circles and place onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat
9. Option cut each circle in half or wait until after baked and cut when still warm
10. Bake 8-10 minutes until slightly browned on the bottoms
11. Cool and add icing clouds if you desire.
OTHER ST PATRICK DAY TREATS YOU MIGHT LIKE:
When did you last see a rainbow?
For more St. Patrick’s Day crafts and recipes come visit our St. Patrick Day hop. Be sure and share any of your St. Patrick’s Day ideas there too.
What Leprechaun Tricks work the best at your house? Maybe a trap with Rainbow cookies??