It is that time of year, at least in the South, for strawberries. We tried a new place this year because the location we have gone in the past was not open yet. We were pleasantly surprised to find a place that had raised beds and plastic mulch which made strawberry picking so much easier and cleaner. Due to the rainy conditions these past weeks the strawberries were plentiful and large. If you live in Richmond, Va area check out the number of pick your own strawberry farms. There is nothing better than seeing the kids pick their own food and to know just how fresh your produce is. If you come home too many, we will show you step by step on how to freeze strawberries.
For long term storage here are a few suggestions on how to freeze strawberries whole:
How to store and freeze strawberries.
Strawberry Turkey brie sandwiches is a great way to use seasonal fresh strawberries in a unique lunch recipe
- 8 ounces brie round
- 8 slices Italian bread
- 8 ounces thinly sliced smoked turkey
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons red pepper jelly
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- strawberries halved (optional)
1.Trim and discard rind from Brie. Cut Brie into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Layer four bread slices evenly with turkey, basil leaves, strawberries and Brie.
2. Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper jelly on one side of each of remaining four bread slices; place bread slices, jelly sides down, on top of Brie. Brush sandwiches with melted butter.
3. Cook sandwiches, in batches, in a pre-heated panini press two to three minutes or until golden brown. (If you dont have a panini press just use a grill pan)
Garnish with strawberry halves, if desired.
What do you do with frozen Strawberries?
Here are my favorite tools I used to freeze strawberries: