One of my favorite things about summer is the abundance of berries and all the strawberry recipes I can make. We usually eat them by the pint on a daily basis. After our recent trip Strawberry Picking, I decided to try to make a fresh strawberry pie recipe.
As nature would have it we picked a few quarts of very small strawberries this year, so hulling them were quite tedious. Be sure to adjust the sugar amount in this pie to fit the sweetness of your berries. Nothing worse than an over sweetened pie using fresh fruit of the season.
My daughter actually made this pie unsupervised and while she is getting better in the kitchen she is not there often. What I am trying to say is that anyone can make this pie, especially if you start with a pre-made crust.
Be sure to check this post for tips on storing and freezing strawberries
How to Make this amazing Strawberry Pie
Cut larger berries in 4ths or leave small berries in tack and layer your crust with about half.
The second hardest part is making the filling/ topping over the stove. I lived keeping more than the recommended amount of strawberries whole. Remember my 13 year old made this entire recipe… not hard.
Pour the filling over the strawberries and then let it cool completely before serving. You will know the center is not set when you try to cut it too soon.
This pie is best served with either homemade whipped cream or cool-whip. Just depends on what you have time for.
This is best eaten within 24 hours of making. The next day I noticed a lot of liquid in the pan. Still tasted amazing though.
Other Recipes using Strawberries
Strawberry Rhubarb Pretzel Pie Recipe- Easy Dessert for a Crowd
Step up your traditional Strawberry Rhubarb pie into this Pretzel Pie
Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins with Strawberry Buttercream Spread
Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins with Strawberry Buttercream Spread are pretty and flavorful
Healthy Instant Pot Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp (Stovetop Option)
This Healthy Instant Pot Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp is the perfect quick and delicious summer dessert! It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar free…but nobody will ever guess
Strawberry Pie Recipe
- 1 9 inch pie crust, baked
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 3/4 - 1 cup white sugar, depends on sweetness of berries
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream , or Cool-Whip
- Arrange half of strawberries in a baked pastry shell. Mash remaining berries and combine with sugar in a medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into boiling strawberry mixture. Reduce heat and simmer mixture until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture over berries in pastry shell.
- Chill for several hours before serving.
- OPTIONAL: In a small bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Serve each slice of pie with a dollop of whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving Calories 101 Saturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 20mg Sodium 8mg Carbohydrates 12g Fiber 2g Sugar 5g Protein 1g