When I entertain I find it imperative that I find as many make-ahead recipes to feed a crowd as possible. It just makes entertaining so much easier on the host and allows them to enjoy their company instead of spending time in the kitchen. This Strawberry Rhubarb Pretzel Pie Recipe not only is delicious but you have to make it the night before. Using the wonderful flavors of early summer with an abundance of both strawberries and rhubarb is an excellent choice for a summer dessert. Strawberry Rhubarb Pretzel Pie Recipe- Easy Dessert for A Crowd
Strawberry Rhubarb Pretzel Pie Recipe- Make ahead Dessert for crowd
While this recipe is made in a pie pan, I am sure you could double the ingredients and make it in a larger pan for a make ahead desserts for a crowd. This was our first attempt at making a pretzel pie and I don’t think I crushed my pretzels small enough as the crust did not stay together well when we cut the pie.
Once you make the pie filling and allow it to set up in the fridge, ideally overnight, you can serve it with the strawberry rhubarb topping.
Everyone will enjoy a refreshing slice of this pretzel pie with its cool filling and fresh fruit topping.
I have never prepared rhubarb topping where you just boil it in sugar. It immediately takes the tartness away and combined with the sweet strawberries and strawberry jam, you can use this topping for ice cream as well.
It is best to eat this summer dessert the same day you add the topping as the crust can get a little soggy.
We adapted this pie recipe from Southern Living and serving it up to you this summer.
Other Easy Desserts for a Crowd You might like:
Strawberry Rhubarb Pretzel Pie Recipe- Make ahead Dessert
- 1/2 cups finely crushed pretzel sticks
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen rhubarb, cut into 1⁄2-inch-thick slices (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- Prepare the Crust: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For best results process pretzels in a food processor. Stir together crushed pretzels, light brown sugar, and melted butter in a small bowl. Firmly press crumb mixture on bottom, up sides, and onto the lip of a lightly greased 9-inch pie pan using a measuring cup or glass. Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned, about 14 minutes. Remove pan to a wire rack, and cool completely about 1 hour.
- Prepare the Filling: Beat softened cream cheese, vanilla, and 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar with an electric mixer on low speed until sugar dissolves and mixture is completely smooth; set aside. In another bowl, Beat cream at high speed using whisk attachment until medium-soft peaks form, about 2 minutes. Stir whipped cream into cream cheese mixture until fully incorporated. Spread into crust. Cover and chill 2 hours or overnight.
- Prepare the Topping: Combine water and 6 tablespoons granulated sugar in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over high. Remove pan from heat. Add rhubarb slices; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Drain rhubarb; cool completely, about 30 minutes. Or in fridge if making ahead of time.
- Microwave jam in a microwave-safe bowl on HIGH until hot, about 20 seconds. Add strawberries, and gently stir to coat. Add rhubarb slices, and gently stir to coat. Top pie with fruit, and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 340 Saturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 63mg Sodium: 140mg Carbohydrates: 41g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 34g Protein: 1g
A make ahead dessert that will feed eight people is just what your party ordered. Take advantage of all the summer produce and not bake filling in this easy desserts for a crowd pie recipe.
PIN THIS FOR NEXT Time you pick up some strawberry and rhubarb