If your kids need some summer activities to get off the couch and active, we have some great ideas for you. Since the kids tend to get bored easily after that first few weeks off from school, it’s time to start encouraging them to get active.
It saddens me to think this generation is spending their summers not exploring their surroundings but valuing their self-worth based on how many likes they receive on an Instagram post. I encourage you, as I do my kids, to put the screens away and get your kids off the couch and exploring the joys of this list of summer activities. With tweens and teenagers, this can be almost impossible. They feel too old to hang out at the pool or play with chalk but there are ways to convince them otherwise.
Summer Activities To Get Kids Off The Couch
This post contains affiliate links.
Thre are some great ideas for summer activities that kids of all ages will enjoy. It’s all about getting to your kids and figuring out what they personally enjoy doing. There are tons of fun ideas below to get your kids active this summer.
1. Give them a scavenger hunt to complete. For younger kids this can be around your house. For older children it could be in your yard or neighborhood. You can even get teens involved with things around your town they can go hunt for.
2. Who doesn’t love a big water fight, supply them with a few and send them outside to have fun. Hasbro has this fun new Nerf Super Soaker Zombie Themed water guns. You can even set up some great water fight obstacles. It can hold up to 24 ounces of water and the water tank lights up for nighttime missions.
3. When it’s cooler outside at night, buy some glow stick necklaces and play a manhunt game at night with the whole family. It’s basically a fun game of hide and seek in the dark using the glow sticks to help you find each other.
4. Competition is a great motivator, see who can skip the most on Twister Moves Skip-It. It comes with a built-in counter and provides great exercise. How many can you do without stopping? This is also a wonderful choice of summer activities that will get everyone moving.
5. Find a fishing spot in your area and have them have a fishing contest. Grab some fishing poles, worms, and relax with some snacks for a fun day of fishing.
6. Need help weeding? Give them a dollar amount for every bucket filled. This can also work great for getting them to help pick vegetables in your garden!
7. Find pick your own farms and then bring home your bounty and make a recipe together. Summer months are great for picking berries at local gardens. You could even grab a book on home canning and teach them how to preserve items for the future.
8. Get them to find a job like babysitting or yard work for neighbors. This helps teach them responsibility while earning some money.
9. Teens love Instagram, so have them scour the neighborhood for cool photos they can post later. Make it a Teen Instagram Challenge with their friends! You can even assign a different topic each day for the month to see what they come up with to share.
These are some great summer activities that will have your kids off the couch and moving all summer long. You don’t have to worry about them just lounging around without using their imagination. Get them outside and having fun all summer long!