Since Wegman’s came to our town, I have been loading up on Rhubarb every time I go. By far it is the best price I have seen and while strawberries are still reasonably priced I will be making Strawberry Rhubarb dessert recipes for the family. Typically I make a Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Recipe but found a Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler Recipe recently that I wanted to compare. If you prefer to serve bars at a party don’t miss our strawberry Rhubarb Crunch Bars a big hit with family and friends. Don’t let the summer go by without trying one Strawberry Rhubarb Dessert recipe, you won’t regret it and I am sure you will be as obsessed as I am.
Don’t forget to go all the way to the bottom of this post as we are sharing 25 other amazing strawberry recipes from this month’s Ultimate Recipe Challenge. That means a bonus 24 strawberry recipes that will have you buying up the strawberries at your market.
Crisp and Cobbler recipes are so flexible as long as you have the topping recipe and right amount of fruit. Feel free to mix up the fruit combinations for whatever is in season or you have in the freezer. These recipes do great with both frozen or fresh fruit so you can enjoy the fruits of summer all year round.
Cut up your rhubarb as you would celery. If the stalks are wide, I slice them in half first then slice them. Strawberries are simply hulled and sliced as well. (Do not buy the frozen fruit in syrup)
Layer the fruit and other ingredients into a baking dish.
Make your cobbler recipe topping and sprinkle over the chopped strawberry rhubarb combination.
Bake for 40-45 minutes until bubbly and golden brown. Any cobbler recipe is best served warm, so be sure and consider the timing and when you want dessert. This time ours sat about 45 minutes before we ate and it was still delicious luke warm.
Be sure and use the extra syrup and drizzle it on top of your ice cream.
Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler Recipe
- 1 pound fresh strawberries slicked
- 1 lb rhubarb (about 5 stalks)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, softened, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking stray.
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries, rhubarb, 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, the cornstarch, and vanilla; mix well then pour into baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, egg, salt, the remaining sugar, and the remaining butter; mix until crumbly, then sprinkle over fruit mixture.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until bubbly and topping is golden. Serve warm.
- Read more at http://www.mrfood.com/Misc-Desserts/Strawberry-Rhubarb-Cobbler-from-Mr-Food#IeoETckPX28xH6Cq.99
Now for all the other 25 amazing strawberry recipes I promised you.
What is your favorite summer cobbler fruit combination? Which recipe from above do you want to try first??