I believe taking shortcuts with brownie and cake mixes are great most of the time. However, for birthdays in my house, from scratch cakes has become a tradition. Do I think my kids fully appreciate what it takes to make some of these cakes, no?
My husband does and he will reiterate that when I am serving a cake that took several hours to finish.
My middle child wanted a strawberry cake and since I can’t make the same cake twice… The chocolate-covered strawberry cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting was created.
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Frosting
If you really don’t care to make homemade cakes, no worry simply buy a strawberry cake mix and prepare for 3 layers. Full disclosure the cake was a little dry and I am not sure if it is because I don’t accurately measure flour or the recipe has a flaw.
Either way it only took a day to devour the entire cake.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
Even though my child wanted a cream cheese frosting, I made a strawberry buttercream frosting. Super simple and I used frozen strawberries for both the cake and the frosting
Make a ring of frosting on each of the first two layers.
HOW to ADD GANACHE TO MIDDLE OF A CAKE
Fill with ganache and then pipe more frosting on top. I made the mistake of not piping the frosting on top of the ganache and it blended together a bit. This is not a professional cake so it all tastes the same.
HOW TO FROST A THREE LAYER CAKE
Starting from the top of the cake, layer on your frosting. It does not have to be perfect, especially on top because you will be covering it with ganache.
You can skip the next couple of steps, but why would you want to… Chocolate covered strawberries are so good.
HOW TO TOP A CAKE WITH GANACHE
The simple ganache recipe is optional but I am not sure why you would not go this route.
First add the drizzle to the outside of the cake, then fill in the top. This is the perfect way to cover up the not so perfect frosted cake.
Pin this tasty strawberry cake recipe for your next special occasion!
So who wants a slice of this homemade Chocolate covered strawberry cake, with strawberry buttercream frosting?
Other birthday cakes you might fall in love with !
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Frosting Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups strawberry puree, I blended frozen strawberries that were slightly sweetened
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 drops Red or pink food coloring, optional
FOR THE GANACHE
- 6 oz Chocolate, Semi-sweet or Dark
- 6 oz Heavy Cream
FOR THE STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar, sifted ideally
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pureed strawberries
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Grease and flour three 8 x 2 inch round pans. Add a round of parchment paper and grease again.
- In a medium bowl add the flour, baking powder and salt, whisk to blend and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add the butter and mix until softened and smooth. Slowly add the sugar and mix on medium speed 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the oil and blend
- Add the eggs one at a time until fully cooperated in your batter.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Alternately, add the flour mixture and the strawberry puree, beginning and ending with the flour mixture
- Add 1 or 2 drops red food coloring if desired.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE GANACHE
- Place your chocolate into a microwave safe bowl.
- Pour heavy cream over the chocolate and place in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Remove and stir. Microwave for 30 seconds more and when the chocolate has melted almost completely, allow it to sit for 1 minute more before stirring. Stir until you've reached a silky smooth consistency.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM
- Cream the softened butter until smooth.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and pureed strawberries beating at medium speed until blended.
- Continue mixing on medium speed another 3 to 4 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally
- Slow down the mixer to very slow and mix another 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth.
- For this cake, pipe a dam of strawberry buttercream around the edge of the bottom layer of cake, leaving about 1/2 inch around border.
- Spread a thin layer ganache within the circle and then pipe more frosting on top.
- Repeat with the second layer.
- Add the third layer of cake and frost the cake with a coating of strawberry frosting starting from the top.
- Fill a disposable piping bag (tip snipped away) with ganache and drizzle around the edge of the cake. Then cover the top of the cake.
- Optional: Add strawberry buttercream stars around the cake and then store in fridge until 30 minutes b/f serving.
Adapted from My Cake School
Nutrition InformationYield 14 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 978Total Fat 43gSaturated Fat 23gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 156mgSodium 382mgCarbohydrates 145gFiber 3gSugar 111gProtein 8g