I found this idea in a Everyday Food magazine several years ago. It was an advertisement for Snyder’s pretzels and I could not resist. If you have been following my blog, especially during holidays, I think you have realized my attraction to the salty sweet combination of chocolate and pretzels. Isn’t everything a little better chocolate covered anyway? These could not be simpler and with the candy eyes available everywhere, it is fun for the kids to join in as well. We love creating Halloween Treats.
These would make a quick and easy treat for a class or neighborhood halloween party and you can change up the colors based on the wide variety of colored discs available at stores.
Here is the recipe as listed, of course you don’t need to make the entire batch. I just made about 6 by simply throwing in a bunch of green and purple chocolate discs and pretzels together that my son enjoyed breaking.
- 1 bag of Pretzel sticks
- 1 bag of colored Chocolate Discs
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows
- CANDY EYES (revised recipe)
1) break apart pretzel sticks into small pieces and set aside
2) Heat 4 cups of wafers as directed on bag ( I microwave them)
3) add 5-10 drops of green food coloring and stir.
4) Remove from heat and mix in the pretzel stick pieces until they are completely covered in chocolate
5) Scoop tablespoon size portions onto a waxed-paper lined baking sheet
6) Apply flattened mini marshmallows for the eyes and finish with red or assorted candies for the center. (we added a little chocolate as glue–per my 4 year olds suggestion)
7) Place in fridge for 5-10 minutes to cool.
I USED Bright GREEN and Purple CHOCOLATE DISCS…The darker green I made a few years ago and did not like the result. Plus Halloween is about bright colors too.
Plop them onto a tray with parchment paper.
Carefully add the eyes. It does not matter where they fall as it looks spookier if they are not centered.
They are silly but fun at the same time.
Here one is waiting for you!! Simple Halloween Food in minutes, a great addition to any Halloween party.
Buy everything you need to make adorable monster pretzels at our Holiday Baking Store.
OTHER HALLOWEEN TREATS YOU MIGHT LIKE: