There is only one vegetable that is growing in my garden right now and that is the zucchini. While I love a zucchini if you don’t catch them in time they get too large to eat raw or even sautéed. That is when zucchini quick bread comes in hand.
I have adapted one of my kids favorite quick loaves of bread into a low-fat muffin that is full of veggies and they hardly notice:) Read on to new how to make Low-fat Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins. The kids helped out making these they are very easy.
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
These are amazingly easy and fun to make. I solicited the boys to help out this morning. Just make sure they are careful when using the grater, it is fun but can really tear up those fingers. I like to grate on top of plastic wrap or parchment paper to make moving the shreds more easily and helps with clean up.
This is a decadent zucchini recipe and making it in muffin form decreases the baking time by 1/3. Perfect for those mornings when you have a little time to bake but not 50 minutes to wait for a quick bread to bake.
As usual, I encourage you to use an ice cream scoop when filling muffin tins. You should get even sized muffins that look like they came out of a bakery.
Just be sure not to overcook your muffins they can dry out quickly. That is another reason to make them as even as possible so they all cook for the same amount of time. Feel free to add more zucchini shreds in the recipe because your kids are not even going to know they are in there.
Want a bite? It counts as a vegetable right?
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour, You can also use all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp each baking soda and cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups packed, grated zucchini
- ½ cup chocolate chips-mini or regular size
- Preheat oven to 350’ Spray two 4x8 inch bread pans with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, applesauce, vegetable oil and vanilla. Stir in Zucchini. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared muffin cups using ice cream scoop Bake for 12-15 mins or until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in pans and either turn muffins on their side or move to wire rack.
Use an ice cream scoop to get even sized muffins.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 162 Total Fat 5g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 4g Cholesterol 23mg Sodium 166mg Carbohydrates 26g Fiber 2g Sugar 11g Protein 4g